You may have heard that olive oil is one of the healthier options when it comes to cooking oil. But you might be surprised to know the wide variety of just how healthy olive oil, and extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) in particular can be. We break down a few of the more surprising benefits, below.
- It’s heart healthy: Compared to less healthy options like animal fat oils, EVOO is high in antioxidants and monounsaturated fats, which are capable of reducing levels of LDL or “bad” cholesterol in the blood. This, in turn, can lower the risks of heart disease and improve overall cardiovascular health.
- It’s good for your brain: Those same antioxidants and polyphenols found in EVOO also contribute toward improving your brain health. According to one study, these polyphenols reduce neuro-inflammation and improve the blood brain barrier function, which could even slow down the progression of neurological conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease.¹
- It improves your mood and mental health: The Mediterranean diet is known for being among the most healthy, and studies have even been able to tie olive oil-rich diets to reducing depression in patients and improving overall mental health.²
- It reduces inflammation: EVOO is an excellent cooking oil option especially for those combating inflammatory conditions. One study even went so far as to describe it as nature’s version of ibuprofen, citing its chemical components demonstrate similar anti-inflammatory results.³
- It improves bone health: Given that inflammation in the body can lead to the break down of bone formation, those same anti-inflammatory properties can also surprisingly contribute to increased bone health. In this study, those that regularly consumed EVOO as a part of their diet had a 51% lower risk of bone fracture than those that didn’t.⁴
- It supports a healthy immune system: Now, more than ever, we’ve become aware of the importance of maintaining a healthy immune system. The polyphenols and antioxidants found in extra virgin olive oil contribute toward boosting your immune cells that can combat any foreign invaders in your body.
There is no denying that the health benefits of EVOO go far beyond any animal-based oil you can cook with. Between the natural chemical components, antioxidants, and monounsaturated fats, the benefits can be felt from head to toe!
Here at aficio22, we know you care about making health-conscious choices…that’s why we take extra care to ensure that our high purity products are carefully packaged in a way that ensures you can enjoy these health benefits to their maximum potential. Click here to browse our extra virgin olive oil collection and discover your new favorite flavor.
Note: No content on this site should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.